Hi all! Happy Hump Day! I hope you’re all having a lovely week so far. As some of you know, I’ve spent the last 6 days or so road-tripping back and forth to Virginia for some much-needed quality time with my fam. My mom, big sis, and I are all very close so we jumped at the chance to spend an extended long weekend together. The main reason for the trip was for mom & I to host my sister Megan’s baby shower. That’s right, I’m gonna be an Auntie!! Yay! I’ll have a full recap of the shower we threw to spoil my sweet sister and nephew soon, but for now I wanted to share what I decided on for the favors.
I knew I wanted to make something homemade, something extra special with a personal touch. I also liked the idea of a play on words with the term “shower”, and what I decided to make fit the bill perfectly, if I do say so myself! After a whole lot of Pinterest & Google searches, I ended up whipping up 2 variations of homemade coconut-sugar scrubs. The process was so easy, even dare I say fun, thanks to my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. Without further adieu, here is the recipe, “From Megan’s Shower to yours..” (see what I did there??)
Homemade Coconut-Sugar Body Scrubs(2 ways)*
*adapted from a recipe on WonkyWonderful.com
Yields 25, 4 oz jars (can be halved or quartered)
- 4 cups unrefined coconut oil, solid
- 8 cups white sugar
- seeds from 4 vanilla beans
- 1/2 cup dried lavender buds
- splash of coconut and/or vanilla extract
- Fit your stand mixer with the whisk attachment. To the bowl, add your solid coconut oil. Whip for about 8-10 minutes on medium speed, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- When coconut oil is light and fluffy, remove half and set aside in a large bowl (*skip this step if only making one kind of scrub).
- Coconut-Vanilla Scrub: add the seeds from the vanilla beans to the whipped coconut oil remaining in the mixer bowl. If desired, add a splash of the extracts for more intense scent. Whip until just combined, then add 4 cups of sugar and mix for 1-2-minutes.
- Lavender-Vanilla Scrub: To the remaining coconut oil which was set aside, stir in your lavender flowers and a splash of vanilla. Add your remaining sugar and mix well.
- Store scrubs in airtight containers. (I added about 1/3 cup of scrub to 4 oz mason jars which I purchased from Amazon.)
These scrubs are fantastic for the whole body, especially your feet. I also love to use these on my legs just before shaving for the smoothest shave ever! In addition, since these are basically edible, they are the perfect lip scrub too. I hope you guys will try these, whether for gifting or just for you! Next time, I may add come coffee grounds and almond extract for a Coffee-Almond-Coconut Scrub! What other scent combinations would you like to try?